The name of the Russian armored cruiser became well known during the October Revolution of 1917.
Aurora, the cruiser Aurora, cruiser, Imperial Russian Navy, battleship, revolution, Russia, Saint Petersburg, Neva, Crimean War, Petropavlovsk, torpedo, crew, war, armoured, museum ship, armament, history, steam engine
152 mm (6 in) gun
The Aurora was an armored cruiser in the Imperial Russian Navy. She was named after a famous Russian frigate in the Crimean War and became one of the symbols of the October Revolution in 1917, which eventually led to the establishment of the Soviet Union.
The construction of the ship was started in 1897 in the Admiralty Shipyard, Saint Petersburg, and was finished in 1900. The ship entered service in 1903.
The Aurora measured 127 m (416 ft) in length and 17 m (55 ft) in width, with a draft of more than 7 meters (23 in) and a displacement of nearly 7,000 tonnes. Her maximum speed was 20 knots (or 35 km/h or 22 mph). Her armament consisted of 18 cannons, 3 machine guns and 3 torpedo tubes. The ship was operated by a crew of 590.
The first important mission of the cruiser was in 1905, in the Battle of Tsushima in the Russo-Japanese War. After the battle, she was used as a training ship in the Imperial Russian Navy; then during the First World War she operated on the Baltic Sea in a defensive capacity and as a patrol ship.
In February 1917, the Aurora was docked in Saint Petersburg, where the crew joined the February Revolution, which toppled the czar and installed a provisional government. The sailors killed the captain and the First Officer. They also played an important role in storming various parts of the city in October, during the second revolution of that year, the October Revolution, which ousted the provisional government. A shot from the ship’s forecastle gunsignaled the start of the assault on the Winter Palace, the fateful event that marked the beginning of that ultimately successful revolution.
Today, the Aurora serves as a Museum Ship on the River Neva, maintained by the Naval School of Saint Petersburg.